Thursday, November 8, 2007

A Difficult One



This image is probably one of the most difficult images I have attempted in the studio so far. It was for my object lighting portfolio. I took a picture of my setup, but have since deleted it. Basically, I had reflectors everywhere. I had a small speedo light with a grid off to the back right hand side of the rings, probably five feet away. I also had a diffusion screen in front of that light. I also had a skinny gobo that I held about two feet from the rings in order to control the specular highlights. Then, I had white reflectors on both sides of my camera, as well as underneath my lens. This image also required some photoshop work.

Overall, I am very pleased with it. It also has some sentimental meaning, because these were my grandparents high school class rings. I never met my grandfather, because he died when my mom was three, while serving in the Vietnam War. So, getting to photograph these for my mom was a privilege.

I shot this with my Canon 30D
ISO 200, 1/60 sec at f/5, 105mm lens

2 comments:

Meghan Barrett said...

This is really good. Nice use of soft light. Could use more fill on the smaller ring. Great job!

leah_mae said...

I saw you edit these!! the finished product looks really good!